Grab a quick picnic and a blanket or folding chairs (perhaps a summer music “kit” will have a place in the car rather than schlepping every time). Summer concerts outside are a special treat on Colorado’s lovely summer evenings.
Perhaps readers have a neighbor who performs or a favorite nearby park location, but you may find that a favorite performer is playing across town and be drawn to visit. Most are free concerts and some require tickets in our communities from Castle Rock up to Lakewood.
Take a bit of time to fill in the calendar. Kids can learn the joy of music as the sun sets and parents and grandparents already are aware. Perhaps visiting relatives will also be entertained.
● Starting close to home for me will be the Littleton Museum concerts sponsored by the Friends of the Littleton Library on Wednesdays on the lawn. If the weather is questionable, call 303-795-3950. Mask wearing is encouraged here. 6:30-8 p.m. on June 22 —Juice O’ The Barley — with concerts running through Aug. 3.
● Castle Rock Band: 2:30 p.m. July 4 in Festival Park, Castle Rock.
● Highlands Ranch Concert Band and its smaller group, Swing Shift: no schedule posted yet — check online. They performed in May, and we’ve enjoyed listening at the park in past years. New members are welcome here if you’ve moved to Highlands Ranch recently and have a horn in the closet! See hrconcertband.org.
● Not band music, but enjoy the performances June 23-26 of “Jesus Christ Superstar” at Littleton United Methodist Church. See littletonumc.church.
● Lone Tree Arts Center has Tunes on the Terrace. See lonetreeartscenter.org.
● Englewood Arts Presents: (Ticketed at 2 in the afternoon in Hampden Hall): July 9, Midsummer Matinee, Susan Paik and Teddy Niedermeyer; July 28, Krueger Brothers; Aug. 13, Bravo Cellos. Outdoors in the City Center Amphitheatre’s SunSET concerts: July 7, Hazel Miller and the Collective; July 14, County Line; July 21, Mile High Big Band; July 28, 17th Avenue Allstars. See englewoodarts.org.
● Denver Botanic Gardens, York Street: Evenings al Fresco, select Mondays and Wednesdays — local musicians and small ensembles will perform throughout the Gardens. See botanicgardens.org.
● Lakewood Concert series on Wednesday nights, ticketed, at Lakewood Heritage Park. See lakewood.org, click on “community” and then on “arts and culture.”
● City Park Jazz on Sunday nights at Denver’s City Park. See cityparkjazz.org/2022-concert-calendar.